If you are planning your 2022 holiday and Thailand is your chosen destination, you certainly won’t be alone; more than 30 million tourists visited the Land of Smiles in 2018 and as the pandemic comes to an end, we can expect to see Thailand as one of the busiest tourist destinations. The great thing about this alluring tropical paradise is the cultural diversity from the mountainous north to the tropical beaches in the south and we offer a few tips on the best experiences to be found in the tropical south of Thailand.
- Ko Pha-Ngan – This tiny island sits near Koh Samui and is the host of the world-famous full moon parties. Drink alcohol from the bucket and enjoy the fire dancers on the beach with techno music blaring until the early hours, but do keep your wits about you! There is accommodation to suit every budget from small beach bungalows to 5-star resorts and you can also rent a pool villa if you prefer some privacy.
- The Andaman Sea – There is affordable daily boat hire in Phuket from a leading yacht charter firm and the skippers are experienced and know all the best places where you can snorkel and experience the amazing marine life in this part of the world. If swimming with whale sharks sounds appealing, this is definitely for you, while you can also experience big game fishing for monster marlin and sailfish.
- Nakhon Sri Thammarat – This is a large city in the south of Thailand, which is not really geared up for tourism and that means you can see how the southern Thais live. They have some amazing Buddhist temples and you can book a first-class berth on the night train from Bangkok, which is a great experience! We recommend staying at one of the resorts for a few nights and exploring the region. From there, you can catch a bus to the ferry at Don Sak and that will take you to Koh Samui. Here are a few travel tips for sustainability.
- Hua Hin – This sleepy coastal resort town is about 3 hours’ drive from Bangkok and if you are renting a car and driving to the south, we recommend stopping off at Hua Hin. Many experts reside here and there are some great attractions to keep you busy and if golf is your game, check out one of the world-class golf courses to be found near Hua Hin.
- Phuket – The premium tourist destination, this small island is home to 5-star resorts and private villas for rent, plus you can charter a yacht and go explore the Andaman Sea. The nightlife is something else, especially on Kata Beach, while you can enjoy the best seafood in one of the many seafood restaurants. Some call this the jewel of southern Thailand and for good reason.
There is a lot of information on the Tourism Authority of Thailand website about the southern part of the nation and we hope that your Thai holiday is a memorable one.