Types of Damages You May be Entitled to After a Car Accident

If you were in a car accident, you may feel frightened and confused about how you can cover your expenses. Also, you may be resentful towards the at-fault driver for causing your injuries and property damage. These are valid feelings as you recover after a crash. Thankfully, a Houston car accident attorney can help you seek compensation for your losses. Your attorney can evaluate the circumstances of your case and determine how to proceed with your accident claim. 

As a car accident victim, you must keep in mind that every accident is different. The damages you can recover depend on different factors like the extent of injuries and property damage and whether you contributed to the accident. You should discuss the kind of damages you are entitled to recover with your attorney. Typically, these damages include the following:

Medical Expenses

If you have suffered injuries in a car accident, you can be dealing with hefty medical bills. Such bills include your diagnosis, treatment, and hospitalization costs. Once you get the initial treatment, your doctor could require you to continue taking medication and undergo physical therapy. Your medical expenses can also include these costs. 

Property Damage

In vehicular accidents, your car can be damaged along with your body. In some instances, a car accident can also damage other property like your belongings inside the car or the property where the accident took place. If the accident leads to this kind of damage, you can seek compensation by filing a property damage claim. Typically, this claim is handled separately from a bodily injury claim. You can seek compensation from the insurance company of the at-fault driver for the cost of car repair or the market value of your car when it is totaled. 

Lost Wages

If you sustain a serious injury, you could miss time off of work for a while to concentrate on your recovery. During your recovery, you miss on both wages and career advancement opportunities. Your attorney will consider both losses to determine the right amount of compensation you deserve to receive. 

In Texas, you have two years from the day you suffered the injury to file a personal injury claim. After two years, you will not be able to seek compensation for your losses. 

To show that you are entitled to compensation for lost wages, you must provide the insurance company with pay stubs and other employment-related evidence. Also, you may need a work excuse from your treating doctor to connect your absences from work to your injuries.

Related Articles

Back to top button