Eyelash Growth Cycles: A perfect Guide for Lash Artists

On the upper lash line, most of us have 90 – 160 lashes dispersed over five to six rows. Up to 80 eyelashes can be seen on the lower lash line. A hair shaft (the lash you see), a root beneath the skin, and a bulb, where new hair begins to develop, make up each eyelash extensions near me. The dermal papilla (blood supply) is attached to the bulb, which nourishes the lashes and allows them to expand. Although we like lashes for their dramatic eye-framing effect, they also serve a practical purpose. When an object or particle comes into contact with the eyelashes, they send autonomic signals to the brain to close the eye. Lashes also aid in the filtering of sunlight and the protection of the eyes from any debris or sweat.

Did you know that eyelashes are the most pigmented of all human hair, which is why they do not grey with age (unlike our head hair!)

The Cycle of Eyelash Growth

In the growth cycle, eyelashes undergo 3 totally different parts: the primary phase is the active growth or Anagen, the second phase is the transition or Catagen, and the last part is resting and shedding or Telogen. It will take around four to eleven months to finish the cycle.

ü  Phase of Anagen (Active Growth)

During the first phase, hair is linked to the dermal papilla (blood supply), and it feeds the lash and aids its growth. Each and every time, about 35-40% of upper lashes, and 15% of lower lashes are in the growth or Anagen phase, to ensure that you do not lose all of your lashes at once when the falling-out phase begins. The Anagen phase lasts 4–10 weeks during which the lashes grow at a rate of 0.12–0.14 mm each day. The longer the eyelash is, the more it grows in the Anagen phase.

This is where an eyelash serum comes in: serums work to lengthen the duration of this phase, allowing lashes to grow for longer. For reading about different brands of eyelash serums, check website.

Keep in mind that only around 40% of your lashes are in this phase at any given moment, so when you start using a lash serum, you will probably notice the increased length and new lashes on a part of your lashes as the other 60% cycle through the other phases.

ü  Phase of Catagen (Transition)

During this part, the follicle shrinks, detaches from blood supply, and as a result, the lash stops developing. While expecting the subsequent part to begin, the ‘transition part’ helps to preserve the lashes’ length achieved throughout the previous or Anagen phase. This period lasts around 2–3 weeks.

Please note that if one eyelash falls out, or is plucked out, unnaturally during this phase, the follicle remains empty until the end of the phase and the transition to Telogen. That implies you will be left with an empty space till the follicle returns to the Anagen phase.

An eyelash serum can help you in this phase as well. Length is one thing, but the fullness is one entirely different thing. It is crucial to keep lashes quite healthy and firm during this period in order to prevent them from falling out and leaving gaping holes in the lash line. Serums make lashes silky, nourished, and non-brittle, making them less likely to break or fall out. This means you have more lashes in situ at any given time, giving your lash line a broader look.

ü  Phase of Telogen (Resting and shedding)

The lashes are in fact resting during this period, and old lashes die naturally while the new ones grow inside the follicle. This stage is about 3 to 4 months, and then the eyelash falls out and goes back into active growth. We can say, every time approximately half of all eyelashes are in this phase.

What Happens When We Get Older?

The lash extensions cycle slows down as we get older, and new lashes take longer to renew. Additionally, eyelashes lose their ability to hold moisture as effectively as they once did, causing follicle damage. Lash serums work in each of these situations, but results take longer to manifest as people become older. To see complete, fantastic results, give it 12–16 weeks of constant use.

Related Articles

Back to top button